We swam against a very good team today, and we're very proud of how we performed in their pool. Somehow, we were missing nearly a quarter of our swimmers. Other swimmers stepped up, and we didn't miss a beat. The in-water starts definitely favored the home team, but we made adjustments fairly quickly. We're making strides with our 8 and Under breaststroke with several more swimmers becoming legal this week. We also had a surprising and significant number of best times, including some massive drops, which is great to see considering the time lost due to starting in the water. We still can be a lot better on our walls--starts, turns, and finishes--but for the most part, we had a very good day today. We have a lot of work (and butterfly) to do this week before we face another very talented team in Hawthorne.
Coaches' Top Ten Standout Swims of the Week (in no particular order)
- Madeleine Murphy's 50m Backstroke
- Nina Berard's 50m Backstroke
- John Zuba's 25m Freestyle
- Everett Stephen's 50m Freestyle
- Chloe Marth's 50m Freestyle (a 16 second improvement!)
- The 11-12 Boys' (Luka Smith, Jonah Valverde, and Sean Leonard) 100m IM
- Sigthor Waguespack's 25m Breaststroke
- Gabe Roy's 25m Breaststroke
- Megan Leonard's 100m Freestyle
- Victoria Hollidge's 25m Backstroke (our biggest percentage improvement of the day, at 24%!)
One quick request: if you are leaving a meet early, please check in with us (Sabrina and Carl) to say bye and to make sure you are not seeded in a relay! Unfortunately, we can never say definitively who is on each relay team until after the freestyle events. Many of you did check in, and we greatly appreciate it, but we still had a few moments of confusion looking for swimmers who had already left.
Sabrina & Carl